Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ready, Set, Go...

I’ve recently taken up bike riding. I bought a cute hot pink bike and an awesome helmet that has an urban landscape on it. One of my first times riding was in Prospect Park, and there was this huge hill that I started peddling up. I changed gears to make it easier, but still, my legs were burning, my heart starting beating rapidly, and I was gasping for air. I was so out of shape. I pulled over to the side and felt like I could cry. It was frustrating because I just wanted to enjoy a nice ride in the park and I couldn't. I ended up walking my bike back home.

I thought about giving up for about a day, but then I pulled myself back out there and did a little more each time I went out for a ride. Last weekend, I biked 25 miles around Jamaica Bay and it was amazing! I felt tremendously satisfied. And yes, there were a number of hills, but I pushed myself right through them. The truth is that many people give up after they experience a setback, but you have to push through it because of the amazing rewards that are waiting for you.

I think about my bike experiences every time I am about to try something new, like a career opportunity I'm considering or a dance class I took last month. It's scary to try new things, take on new projects, or build a new skill. But after you've done it -- and endured some potential failures and picked yourself back up -- you'll feel like you can do almost anything.

Let this be a lesson to all of us who want to try something new, but are too afraid to do it. You have to push through it, because you can only have opportunities when you put yourself out there and take risks. While you are doing these new things, remember to enjoy the ride! The ride can take you to places where the opportunities are limitless.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. It's very motivational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not that the life coaches’ exertion is as neither counselor nor professional advisor but they don’t have snooping and task exploration in their work. To seek for life coaching training in Philadelphia; seek for a career coaching place where you will be assisted by life coach to put eagerness for the associates in diverse areas including sociology, psychology, positive traits development, job counseling and other types of enticement.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog